Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Balance

Jean, when I think about the ways my life is better for having known you, I'm not surprised when I realize that both personal and professional anecdotes spring to mind. I can remember "all the way" back to when you interviewed me for the program and we got into a great discussion of the challenges that students, teachers, and schools face. You made me forget that I was being interviewed, and that ease, combined with the passion that was so evident in your words, made me even more certain that I had chosen my graduate field correctly:

"You mean I can spend the next few years having more and more conversations like this one with all of these fabulous people? Sign me up!"

Thankfully, you were still right there when second year hit, and suddenly those wonderful discussions were getting more and more lost in the stress of things like 880 and practicum portfolios. I think maybe it was then that you shared with us your advice that while conversations alone are wonderful, sometimes what you really need is a conversation with a bottle or two of wine. Many have written already about the balance you seemed to so effortlessly maintain, so forgive me for echoing them. But you were always ready to remind our anxious cohort that no matter how much you learn, it's not a whole lot of good to you if you're too stressed to do anything with it. It was advice like that and the relaxed and joyful model you provided that made it possible for me to wind up with great friends, great memories, and great ideas from my graduate program and not just a transcript listing my completed courses.


I'm a better professional now and do better work for and with children because of you, Jean. Not just because of the conversations you inspired and the varied topics we covered in the courses of yours I was lucky enough to take. But also because I'm able to recognize when what I really need is a night with smart friends, great food, lots of laughter…and maybe a bottle or two of wine.


Thank you, Jean.

With love to you and your family,

Nora

No comments: