Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The size of your heart

I remember the first time I met you, Jean. I was interviewing for the school psychology program at MSU, and we had lunch together. We talked about your daughter. Liz was studying abroad and you missed her so much. I could see in your face how proud you are of her. Then you were overjoyed when Liz came to MSU because you would get to be near her again. You glow whenever you talk about your children. Seeing Liz tonight, it seems that she carries a piece of your essence, your soul; what an amazing young woman. Reading through this blog it is so amazing to see all of the lives that you have touched. Tonight I got to say goodbye to you, and I got to see many of the people close to you. It is possible to glimpse the size of your heart by seeing the hole you leave in all of our hearts. None of us is ready to let you go. You still have so much to teach us. In the short time that I have known you, you have touched my life. Thank you for the gift of knowing you. I will always remember your commitment to children, family, and students, your unbelievable intellect, your gentleness that puts everyone at ease, and the love you exude. Know that your students and colleagues will carry on your commitment to children and schools. Jean, how can we live without your beautiful smile?

Love,
Emily Sportsman

No comments: