Tuesday, January 8, 2008

kindness, warmth, joy, energy, and talent.

Jean,

It was a special treat to take a class with you, something I had been eagerly anticipating for such a long time. You possess an amazing wealth of knowledge and skills. But the aspect about you that impresses me the most is what so many others have already described here. You have a way about you that exudes kindness, warmth, joy, energy, and talent. One of the best parts about having an office just across the hall from yours has been hearing the laughter that seeps out. It’s always made me want to stop what I’m doing and join the fun! Although our paths crossed surprisingly little in our small program, you still took interest in my life and well-being whenever we met. Tim recalls how you put him at ease at his first school psych holiday party by talking about home improvement together. You have a special talent for making others feel heard and valued.

In my four years at MSU I have heard nothing but praise and admiration for you both professionally and personally. In fact, I doubt there is anyone who is more well liked in the college, and who has simultaneously made such a profound impact in so many lives! I got my first glimpse of the love and respect from you felt by others across the country when I was at the APA conference in Washington, DC a few years back. I was standing awkwardly next to our group poster when one of your former mentees from Georgia walked by and noticed your name on the poster. She was so thrilled at the prospect of getting to see you. But oh, you should have seen the disappointment on her face when I said I didn’t know where you were at the moment!!:)

A few months ago you gave the students in our practicum class a charming one-inch photo frame. It sits on my desk as a subtle reminder to type enough to fill the opening each day. In addition to reminding me to get writing, it will also always remind me of you—your wisdom, generosity, and kindness. Thank you! I hope you and your family are filled with joy when you read all of the wonderful stories people are posting. How lucky we all are to know you!

With Love,

Anna

No comments: